Sunday, September 2, 2012

Rear Defogger Switch

One of the options my car did NOT come from the factory with was the rear defogger.  It sold for $27.  It involves a dash mounted hi/low/off switch, a blower mounted under the rear parcel shelf and ductwork that supplies air from the passenger compartment through the blower up onto the rear window.

I found the switch a few months ago.  I haven't bought the blower or the ductwork yet.  I think the rear parcel shelf may need to be modified or replaced to accommodate the blower.

Today I installed the switch.  I'm on a mission to get the car drivable again.  That means the dash has to go back in.  And the switch needs to go in first.  I figured this was a simple enough task to get done in a few hours today.

I was discouraged at first since there was no knockout in the instrument cluster to accommodate the switch.  So I hesitantly cut into the aluminum with my trusty Dewalt drill and jigsaw.  Some careful filing produced the hole for the switch.

I'll save the wiring for later when I have the blower.  Just glad to get even the little things done.

No comments:

Post a Comment