Monday, May 9, 2011

Climate Control

While I had the car out in the driveway yesterday testing the antenna and radio, I thought I would do some initial testing on the air conditioning.  I have read a lot about the problems others have had with this system.  Most everyone's problems begin or end with vacuum issues.  Here are a few of my initial observations.  Under no circumstances does the compressor run.  This could be a controls issue or the refrigerant could be low or completely gone from the system.  The temperature dial seems to control the modulation of the heater door.  This is really good news since that door is buried deep in the firewall and it means the string of three temperature sensors is intact and working.  Sliding the mode lever from Off towards the right to Lo, Auto or Hi does nothing.  From what I've read this seems to be a common problem that will require a lot more time and effort.  However, moving the lever all the way to Fog or Ice, and then back to Lo, Auto or Hi seems to modulate the fan speed and open/close the proper vents.  Again, good news, meaning for the most part the vacuum lines seem to be intact and the doors functional.  After I address the known leak in the vacuum lines at the headlight switch I will revisit this system.  At least I can get the fan to blow ambient air.

No comments:

Post a Comment