Sunday, May 1, 2011

Power Antenna

Since I was so successful the day before, I thought I would start work Saturday, April 30, 2011 on the power antenna.  Normal operation of this antenna is to pull on the radio on/off knob to raise the antenna and push on the knob to lower the antenna.  The motor can be heard running in both directions.  That was good news I thought, since I could rule out the radio itself and all electrical to the antenna.

Years ago, I had replaced two or three antenna masts on my '90 Corvette.  The part was only about $12 but it was a bitch to replace requiring you to lie on your back under the rear quarter panel loosening the antenna and simultaneously releasing years of dirt directly into your eyes, ears, nose and throat.  I would be so lucky with the Eldorado.

The service manual gives very good directions to remove the motor and mast.  The mast was bent slightly but more importantly completely missing the toothed nylon tape that pushes/pulls the antenna mast up/down.  Three trips to two PepBoys and an AutoZone resulted in no workable solution.  At this point I'm still looking for the mast.  At some point I may have to resort to a complete replacement of the power antenna, either OEM or replacement.

No comments:

Post a Comment