Monday, May 9, 2011

Power Antenna Update

I stumbled upon a website specializing in hard to find parts for old Cadillacs:  CaddyDaddy.  Oddly enough I was able to access this site at work.  They sold me a new mast and it arrived on Friday.  Saturday morning I ambitiously tore apart the old antenna housing, removed all traces of the old nylon cord, clean and greased everything in sight, fed the new cord into the housing, assembled the parts and reinstalled them in the front fender.  As of Sunday morning I have a completely functional power antenna.  As a bonus, the radio actually tunes in FM Stereo stations!

I've learned so far that each project usually spawns a few small projects or leads to the discovery of a new larger project.  During this project I figured out the front speaker doesn't work at all.  I'm going to search for a correct dash pad with two new front speakers.

Also, the hazard flashers don't work.  The flasher itself is missing from it's mounting postition on the fuse block.  I'm hopeful an off the shelf flasher from Pepboys will work.  I'd rather not find out that the flasher was pulled for a reason, or that the switch is bad.  I've read that replacing the switch on a tilt/telescope steering column is not for the faint of heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment